In order to integrate Drupal 7 with MailChimp we need to first install the MailChimp module, and its dependencies. This will provide the framework that we'll use for our integrations throughout the rest of this series. The MailChimp module depends on the Entity API module, the Libraries module, and the MailChimp PHP API Client, so we'll need to install these as well.
The MailChimp project on Drupal.org consists of the main MailChimp module (mailchimp.module) that provides API integration, and a handful of sub-modules that use this API integration to allow Drupal to interact with various aspects of MailChimp. These are:
- mailchimp_signup: Create anonymous signup forms for your Mailchimp Lists, and display them as blocks or as standalone pages. Provide multiple-list subscription from a single form, include merge variables as desired, and optionally include Interest Group selection.
- mailchimp_lists: Subscribe any entity with an email address to MailChimp lists by creating a mailchimp_list field, and allow anyone who can edit such an entity to subscribe, unsubscribe, and update member information. Also allows other entity fields to be synced to Mailchimp list Merge Fields. Add a Mailchimp Subscription field to your User bundle to allow Users to control their own subscriptions and subscribe during registration.
- mailchimp_campaigns: Create and send campaigns directly from Drupal, or just create them and use the Mailchimp UI to send them. Embed content from your Drupal site by dropping in any Entity with a title and a View Mode configured into any area of your email template.
- mailchimp_activity: Display a tab on any entity with an email address showing the email, subscribe, and unsubscribe history for that email address on your Mailchimp account.
By the end of this tutorial you should be able to install the MailChimp module and all it's required dependencies and libraries, and confirm that they are all working.
Further your learning
- List the other non-core modules that are required in order to use the MailChimp module.
- What version of the MailChimp PHP API client does the MailChimp Drupal module use?
- The MailChimp project contains multiple sub-modules. What role does the MailChimp Campaigns sub-module fulfill?
- Explore further: What other projects on drupal.org that are not part of this series aid with integrating MailChimp with Drupal? When might you use one of those instead?