Symfony 4 is out, and it's the best Symfony ever. Faster! Re-imagined developer experience! And easier to create the features you need!
In this series from SymfonyCasts (formerly KnpUniversity), you'll create your first Symfony 4 app, learning important concepts in Symfony 4 development along the way.
So let's start coding already! This series of tutorials covers:
- Set up your new (tiny) Symfony app
- PhpStorm setup for a killer experience
- Flex and understanding recipes
- Creating routes and controllers
- The bin/console tool
- Twig and templating
- Crazy-good debugging with the web debug toolbar
- Our first API Endpoint!
- An intro to services!
You'll want to be comfortable using the command line as this hands-on series will walk you through a number of commands to install, run, and develop a Symfony 4 application. If you need to brush up or revisit some topics, check out the following resources:
Drupal and Symfony 4
Curious to know how Symfony 4 and Drupal work together? Check out the blog post Symfony 4 and Drupal by Ryan Weaver of SymfonyCasts.
Let's get started with Symfony 4 development. In this tutorial, we'll download and install Symfony with Composer.
- [The Wonderful World of Composer](https://drupalize.me/videos/wonderful-world-composer)
- [Command Line Basics](https://drupalize.me/series/command-line-basics-series)
In this tutorial, we'll get oriented with our app and set up PhpStorm for Symfony 4 development.
- [PhpStorm topic page](https://drupalize.me/topic/phpstorm)
Let's create our first page in our Symfony 4 app and learn about routes and controllers in the process.
Let's learn about the Composer plugin Flex and Flex's two superpowers: aliases and recipes. Aliases will ease the process of dependency installation and recipes will help us make sure everything is working in our dependency upon installation.
- [Symfony Recipes Repository](https://github.com/symfony/recipes) (GitHub.com)
In this tutorial, we'll install a Twig bundle and recipe.
Symfony 4: Twig LoveFree
In this tutorial, we'll implement a template for our Symfony app using Twig. You'll learn a few Twig basics along the way.
- [Twig Templating](https://drupalize.me/series/twig-templating)
In this tutorial, we'll install the Profiler, also known as the Web Debug Toolbar. Let's explore what information and tools the Profiler and Web Debug Toolbar provide.
Symfony has changed the package name for the profiler since this video was recorded.
You can now install the profiler by running:
composer require --dev symfony/profiler-pack
And read more about the profiler tool here: https://symfony.com/doc/current/profiler.html
In this tutorial, we'll install and explore debug-pack, a Symfony debugging package that includes Monolog (a logging library), phpunit-bridge (for testing), and even the profiler-pack that we already installed in a [previous lesson](/videos/symfony-4-web-debug-toolbar-and-profiler).
- [Symfony Recipes Server](https://symfony.sh/)
- [HTML and CSS topic page](https://drupalize.me/topic/html-and-css)
In this tutorial, we'll learn how to generate URLs to routes and we'll fix up the links in our app in the process.
In this tutorial, we'll learn how to wire up our app to send and receive data to/from an API endpoint.
Symfony 4: ServicesFree
In this tutorial, we'll learn about useful objects in Symfony known as services.