This is Week 1 of the 7-week course Hands-On: Theming. Get started with Drupal theming in 1 hour a week for 7 weeks. Based on our popular Drupal Theming Workshop featured at DrupalCon.
Time to complete: About 30-60 minutes
This week you will set up a local development environment and a Drupal site with some dummy content. The first tutorial, Set up Demo Site for Theming Practice, will get you up and running with both. The amount of time it will take to complete depends on how familiar you already are with setting up Drupal and its system dependencies on your machine. The resources listed below can be used as a reference or refresher if needed. Be sure to complete the first tutorial listed (Set up Demo Site for Theming Practice) before you move on to Week 2: Create a New Theme.
- Complete Set up Demo Site for Theming Practice:
- Install Drupal 8 on your local machine so you can modify files with a code editor or IDE of your choice.
- Install Devel and Devel Generate modules and generate dummy content for your local practice Drupal site.
Sign-up for weekly email reminders
Sign-up for the Hands-On Theming email list and get reminders and tips about each week's exercises!
Own this course
You can also purchase the Practical Drupal Theming course on Thinkific. The course material is the same, but you can access the content without a Drupalize.Me membership and you will own the course forever.
Set up a local development environment to practice Drupal theme development. In order to practice theme development, either on your own or following our Hands-On: Theming guide, you'll need a Drupal site up and running on your computer.
By the end of this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Install Drupal on your computer so you can modify files with a code editor of your choice.
- Generate dummy content so that you have different kinds of pages to theme.