Drupal has a system for managing and deploying configuration to different environments. In tandem with it are tools, processes, and workflows to learn and customize for your site and team. Learn about Drupal's configuration system and how to manage configuration with both administrative UIs and command-line tools. For module developers, see also the related topic Configuration API for Developers.
- Change the configuration sync directory outside of web root
- Clone a Drupal site
- Export active configuration to YAML files
- Move configuration from local - test - live
The configuration system in core is new to Drupal 8. It is a non-opinionated system when it comes to specific workflows. You will learn the basic tenets of the configuration system as well as concepts and tools for importing and exporting configuration from one site instance to another. But there are many different types of Drupal projects out there and many kinds of teams. Learn the system and the tools in the following resources, but understand that you will need to customize the workflow to meet your site's and team's specific needs and toolsets.
- Introducing the Configuration System
- Get an overview of Drupal's configuration system and relevant key concepts.
- Configuration Sync Directory Setup
- Know where to find the default location of the configuration sync directory on your site and how to change it, if desired.
- Create a Clone of Your Drupal Site
- Be able to create a clone of a Drupal 8 site installation with command-line tools Drush and Git.
- Manage Configuration with Command Line Tools
- Know about the various config-related Drush commands available to you and how to use Git to inspect and deploy changes in configuration files.
- Drupal Deployment with Features and Drush
- In Drupal 7, the main tool for managing configuration is the Features module. This series explains how to use the module and create a deployment workflow. The following tutorials show how to use Features with several popular content tools.
- Exporting Panels Configuration using Features
- Exporting Panelizer Configuration using Features and Strongarm
- Exporting Context Configurations with the Features Module