Due to major backward-compatibility-breaking changes the upgrade from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 (or 9) is challenging. And if you don’t already have a team of developers with experience using the Drupal Migrate API, or support from a services agency that does, it’s a daunting task to tackle on your own.
In this workshop we’ll walk through the process of doing an inventory of an existing site, planning a migration, writing a custom Drupal-to-Drupal migration, and then executing that migration in a way that minimizes impact on the current live site. We’ll use a combination of short presentations, hands-on exercises, and group activities to help you gain valuable experience and practice. By the end of the workshop, you should be able to apply concepts in migration to your specific projects.
This workshop covers the Drupal core Migrate modules and essential contributed modules like Migrate Plus, Migrate Tools, and Migrate Upgrade.
You'll come away from this course knowing:
- Best practices for planning, and estimating, a migration
- A process to inventory your existing site and figure out what needs to be done
- What tools are available to help scaffold a migration instead of starting from scratch
- How to execute, test, and rollback, a migration or portions of a migration using Drush
- Ways to customize a migration to handle changes to your information architecture, or migrate only a sub-set of existing data
- Tips for completing a migration with minimal downtime and no need to freeze content on the current site
- How to handle files, relationships, and corrupt data sets
- Where to find additional help when you need it
In addition to the real-time instructor-led workshop, attendees will also receive:
- Example code with extensive documentation suitable for use as reference material for future migration projects
- A PDF workbook with exercises -- and solutions
- Access to pre-recorded explanations of the solutions for all exercises
- 1 month of free access to the entire Drupalize.Me tutorial catalog
- Individual developers working on client sites who could use some help getting up to speed with the process of migrating from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 or 9.
- Teams of developers working together, either at an agency or as part of an internal team, who want to level up their Drupal migration skills.
- Anyone wanting to gain some experience with migrating Drupal sites to help them do so more efficiently in the future.
- You’re familiar with Drupal, and have built one more Drupal sites, and are now looking to upgrade those sites.
- You’re comfortable with command line basics (moving directories, executing Drush commands, making database backups).
- You know PHP well enough to copy existing examples and make changes to them for your specific use-case.
- You know how to run Drupal in a local development environment. We’ll use DDEV-Local, but as long as you can run CLI commands, write code, and make backups, you can use whatever environment suits you best.