This video will cover the basics of Drupal theming while the more advanced theming topics of working with the template.php file will be covered in the Advanced Theming video. These videos pair with each other, and will finish the complete implementation of the 960 Robots theme used in both videos.
Examples in this video are based on Drupal 7 and its variants.
Here are the chapters included in this video;
- Introduction to Drupal 7 Theming
- Preparing a site for theming
- Enabling themes and theme settings
- Translating a design into a Drupal theme
- Helpful browser extensions for Drupal theming
- Creating the .info file
- Customizing the page template file
- Adding regions to the page template
- Customizing the node template
- Creating templates for node types
- Using the theme developer module
- Tour of popular page template variables
- Adding a screenshot to your theme
- Conclusion to Theming Basics
In this introduction video we set the stage for the Theming Basics series. We give an overview of what Drupal theming is, the common files we will work with, as well as the overall steps involved. Then we start off by defining and taking a look at the .info file and HTML template (tpl.php) files. We talk about regions, theme features, introduce the render() function, and explain dynamic templates. While we are teaching Drupal 7 theming, we also make sure to point out the important differences between Drupal 6 and 7.