While development skills are typically not involved in site building, you'll need to have broad knowledge about using Drupal contributed projects, and the best practices for building a Drupal site. As you become familiar with all the options Drupal has to offer, here are some things to keep in mind:
- There are many modules that expand on what Drupal core can do. This is the real power of working with Drupal. Take your time learning best practices to quickly find the right modules. See Extend Drupal with Modules for more curated resources on this topic.
- When learning to build a site, set up a test environment to purposely make mistakes. If you find yourself with a blank white screen, just start over.
- There's a wonderful service called simplytest.me that allows you to quickly and easily create a Drupal site with a module installed, so you can try it without building your own test site first.
- Take advantage of services like Acquia Cloud and Pantheon, which allow you to create and destroy your own Drupal installation for free. Many shared hosting providers also provide a "1-click Drupal install".
- There are many resources where you can find help and share solutions. Become familiar with resources like the Drupal.org forums and Drupal Answers on Stack Exchange. Check out Getting Help with Drupal and the Drupal 8 User Guide Chapter. 14 Final Thoughts, to learn more about the resources that offer support.
- If you are interested in taking the Acquia Certified Site Builder Exam, you will also definitely want to work your way through our exam guide.
Broaden your skills
There are many ways to grow your skills and knowledge outside of tutorials. Here are some of our favorite resources for exploring Drupal site building.
Podcasts are a great way to hear from others in the Drupal community about current events and hot topics. Here are a few of our favorite podcasts produced by members of the Drupal community that you might find interesting as a site builder.
DrupalCon sessions and other local/regional events are a great way to get up to speed on the latest in Drupal development. All DrupalCon sessions are recorded and are available for free on the Drupal Association's YouTube channel. Many Drupal "Camps" (local or regional Drupal community events) also record sessions. For DrupalCon and many other Drupal events, the recorded sessions are embedded on the session description pages on the event's website.
- DrupalCon -- Find links to past and future DrupalCons and session recordings.
- Drupical -- Filter and find Drupal camps, sprints, user groups, and training events.
- Upcoming Drupal community events -- Filter and find Drupal-related events.
Meet some site builders
Get to know more about what it means to be a Drupal site builder through these interviews: