There's quite a bit of documentation and other resources already available to help you better understand the Drupal 7 Field API. Lets take a look at what's already available on Drupal.org, in the Examples project, and in the Drupal 7 core code that will serve as good reference material. We'll be referring back to these resources in later lessons, and they'll serve as a great place to look up additional information or to continue your learning via other examples.
Resources covered in this video:
- The Drupal.org Handbook for Field API
- API documentation in field.api.php, which gives an overview of all the Field API hooks.
- Field API documentation available on api.drupal.org - https://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/modules%21field%21field.module/group/f...
- Examples for Developers project
We've also got some additional resources here on Drupalize.Me that will serve as a good refresher for how/where fields are used in Drupal:
- For learning more about how to use fields in the UI and how the UI works - http://drupalize.me/series/intro-fields-site-builders-series
- Attaching fields to custom entities - http://drupalize.me/videos/make-your-entity-fieldable-bundles