Check your version
This tutorial covers a topic in Drupal 7 which may or may not be the version you're using. We're keeping this tutorial online as a courtesy to users of Drupal 7, but we consider it archived.
Add user data to the database from an existing form.
Save data from a form to a custom database table.
You will need the following knowledge and skills. If you need a review, check out the Additional resources section at the bottom of this page.
- Understand how to update user information in the database.
- Use database queries.
- Use default values in forms.
Create a function to save the user data which has been submitted in the altered user form.
Create a function to put the data into the new table created earlier.
Create functions to retrieve the data from the form.
Set the default values of the new fields.
hook_user_updatecan be used to manage additional functionality for a user object.
- Break down functions to set and retrieve data, so they can be re-used.
Further your understanding
- Continue to the next lesson: Movie Project: Create a Render Array and Theme Functions.
- API Documentation: hook_user_update (api.drupal.org)
- Documentation: Database API overview (Drupal.org)
- Video: Querying the Database with Query Methods (Drupalize.Me)
- API Documentation: #default_value form attribute (api.drupal.org)