Check your version
This tutorial covers a topic in Drupal 7 which may or may not be the version you're using. We're keeping this tutorial online as a courtesy to users of Drupal 7, but we consider it archived.
This exercise will have you demonstrate knowledge of the installation process and how to customize Drupal for an improved experience when using the administration UI.
Install Drupal and use the administrative UI to download and enable contributed modules.
You will need the following knowledge and skills. If you need a review, check out the Additional resources section at the bottom of this page.
- Install Drupal.
- Enable and disable modules.
- Evaluate, download and enable contributed modules.
Install Drupal, if needed, on a local or development server.
- We can add functionality to a Drupal site by adding and enabling contributed modules.
- Contributed modules can be downloaded from drupal.org, but this should be a carefully considered process.
- Custom and contributed modules should be kept separate.
- Contributed modules can be evaluated on simplytest.me before download.
- You can also use a tool called Drush to install and manage your modules.
Further your understanding
- Continue to the next lesson: Movie Project: Design a Content Type.
- Video: Installing Drupal 7 (Drupalize.Me)
- Video: Orientation to a New Drupal 7 Site (Drupalize.Me)
- Video: Using Drupal Appendix B: Choosing the Right Modules (Drupalize.Me)
- Video: Installing and Enabling Modules in Drupal 7 (Drupalize.Me)
- Video: Introduction to Drush Series (Drupalize.Me)